The Chakra's, are to some people a foreign, new age concept, far beyond the scope of their mind. The same can be said once for alternative medicine, but as a result of evolution and the subtle gradual shifts in consciousness across the globe, we are slowly but surely opening our minds up to ideas surrounding health & healing that were once deemed 'woo-woo'. The chakra's are one of those ideas. In today's post, I want to introduce the 7 chakra's for beginners. Working with the chakra's is a very important healing tool, that I am personally integrating in my Yoga & coaching modalities.
What the Chak? What is a Chakra?
The literal meaning of the word chakra is 'wheel' or 'circle'. According to Yogic context, the chakra's are vortices of psychic energy. They are visualized and experienced as circular movements of energy at particular rates of vibration in our bodies. There are 7 Chakras in the body and they are the energy centers in our body in which energy flows through.
The chakras relate to physiological as well as psychic centres whose structures correspond more or less with the traditional descriptions. These nerve centres are not situated inside the spinal cord itself, but lie like junctions on the inside of the interior walls of the spinal column.
A Chakra is like a centrally placed electricity pole from which electrical wires are run to different places, houses and street lights in the vicinity. This arrangement is the same for each one of the chakras. The energy which emerges from each chakra carry vital energy (prana) in both directions. There is a forward and backward motion in the energy centres.
The importance of the Chakras
Blocked energy in our 7 Chakras can often lead to illness so it's important to understand what each Chakra represents and what we can do to keep this energy flowing freely. Awakening the Chakras is a very important even in human evolution. With the awakening of the chakras our consciousness and our mind undergo changes - which have significant relevance and relationship with our day to day life.
The 7 Chakras explained
1. Root Chakra (Mooladhara) - Represents our foundation and feeling of being grounded. The first chakra in spiritual evolution, where one goes beyond animal consciousness and starts to be a human being. It also has control over the entire range of human excretory and sexual functions.
- Colour & Location: Red + Base of spine in tailbone area.
- Emotional issues: Survival issues such as financial independence, money, and food
- How to heal blockages: Getting grounded - practices such as meditation, kundalini yoga, stomping feet to the ground.
- Foods to heal blockages: red coloured foods (apples and beetroots), hot spices, root vegetables.
2. Sacral Chakra (swadhisthana) - Our connection and ability to accept others and new experiences. It corresponds to the sacral plexus of nerves and controls the unconscious mind.
- Colour & Location: Orange +Lower abdomen, about 2 inches below the navel and 2 inches in.
- Emotional issues: Sense of abundance, well-being, pleasure, sexuality.
- How to heal blockages: pelvic thrusts, cobra yoga pose.
- Foods to heal blockages: orange coloured foods (oranges, tangerines, carrots), nuts (any kind).
3. Solar Plexus Chakra (manipura) - Our ability to be confident and in-control of our lives. Corresponds to the entire process of digestion, assimilation, and temperature regulation in the body.
- Colour & Location: Yellow + upper abdomen in the stomach area.
- Emotional issues: Self-worth, self-confidence, self-esteem.
- How to heal blockages: Kundalini Yoga, Yoga Boat Pose
- Foods to heal blockages: Grains and fiber (quinoa, brown rice, psyllium husks), yellow coloured fruits and veggies, teas (peppermint, camomile)
4. Heart Chakra (anahata) - Our ability to love. Corresponds to cardiac plexus of nerves, and controls functions of the heart, the lungs, the diaphragm and other organs in this region of body.
- Colour & Location: Green + Center of chest just above heart.
- Emotional issues: Love, joy, inner peace.
- How to heal blockages: Yoga poses - chest openers, wheel pose and camel pose. Practising self love rituals, unconditionally loving others. Simply opening up our hearts to love ourself and others is the best healing.
- Foods to heal blockages: green coloured fruits and vegetables (spinach, kale, green apples), green tea.
5. Throat Chakra (vishuddhi) - Our ability to communicate. Corresponds to the cervical plexus of nerves and controls the thyroid complex and also some systems of articulation.
- Colour & Location: Blue & Throat.
- Emotional issues: Communication, self-expression of feelings, the truth.
- How to heal blockages: shoulder stand, singing and chanting.
- Healing foods: fresh juices, herbal teas, all fruits.
6. Third Eye Chakra (ajna) - Our ability to focus on and see the big picture. Corresponds to the pineal gland. Controls the msulce and the onset of sexual activity.
- Colour & Location: Indigo + Forehead between the eyes.
- Emotional issues: Intuition, imagination, wisdom, ability to think and make decisions.
- How to heal blockages: childs pose, forward bending, oil treatments, eye excersizes.
- Healing foods: Purple colored fruits (grapes, blueberries), Raw Chocolate, Lavender flavored spices or tea
7. Crown Chakra - The highest Chakra represents our ability to be fully connected spiritually. Correlate to the pituitary gland, which controls each and every gland and system in the body.
- Colour & Location: Violet + The very top of the head.
- Emotional issues: Inner and outer beauty, our connection to spirituality, pure bliss.
- How to heal blockages: meditation, running and cardiovascular excersize.
- Healing foods: The Crown Chakra represents our spiritual connection to our surroundings, this Chakra does not benefit from healing foods. The Crown Chakra is more likely to benefit from breathing clean and fresh air and sunshine.
How to find out which chakra needs opening?
There are many healing modalities available that work primarily with the chakras, including Reiki and other modalities. Please use your own personal research and follow your own intuition as to what healing method resonates with you. I hope this helps. xx